Newbie: I can't register hosts?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Dec 15 10:24:20 CET 2006

nic gna wrote:
> This is my host.cfg and I can't register the hosts.
>   I get this error:
>
>   Error: Host name, alias, or address is NULL
> Error: Could not register host (config file '/etc/nagios/hosts.cfg', starting on line 1)
>   --------
>   define host{
>         name                    routers
>         use                     routers

This is interesting. I'd be surprised if Nagios doesn't barf on this.
I'm assuming this is a template you wish to include in your *real* host
objects (luke and leia below - cute names, btw), but making them "use"
themselves is just asking for an infinite loop bug to bite you.

>         check_command           check-host-alive
>         max_check_attempts      15
>         notification_interval   30
>         notification_period     24x7
>         contact_groups          admins
>         notification_options    d,r
>         register                1
>         }

As has already been pointed out, "register" should be set to 0 for
template objects. This is quite clearly documented, and "register" is
there for the sole reason of coping with templates that aren't complete
objects.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se