Problems with FreeBSD and Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 14 17:24:19 CET 2006

Jonathan Call wrote:

> Given your ideas and some google work I seem to have found my problem:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2005-August/013247.ht
> ml
>
> Not a pretty discussion. :(

Nope. Definitely not.

The problem for Nagios is that threading was added after the fact so
nagios actually breaks some of the *strong* recommendations on what to
do and what not to do in a threaded application after a fork().

The problem for *BSD and their thread implementation of the thread
library is that Nagios actually works everywhere but on *BSD, and it
*often* works there too, but not always. This "often-but-not-always" is
usually a sign of a broken implementation, although exactly
"often-but-not-always" is a sign of the errors you'll run into when you
do what Nagios does post-fork().

I don't know of any other program that has the same problem on *BSD, but
it would be interesting to see if there's a common pattern so one can
pinpoint the exact pattern that causes the lock contention and races. It
would, from a practical point of view, be best to patch it in the
library, as that is a fix that would work for all possible future
problems as well, although it's technically more correct to fix it in
Nagios.

Ugly discussion indeed.

> I'll try using a non SMP kernel to see it might help. If it doesn't this
> pretty much renders Nagios useless on FreeBSD. (Which makes me wonder
> why they even bother maintaining it in ports?)

Out of curiousity, do you use passive checks, active checks or a mix of
both in your setup?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se