monitoring routers / status map

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue Dec 12 08:05:20 CET 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Petry wrote:

> im finding a program to monitor the interface of my routers  ( up/down ), so
> i've found nagios. i not installed yet, and just have some questions about
> how it works:
>
> - i need to configure something on the routers??

Not if you can ping all of them. For additional tricks enable SNMP.

> - how i can use the best of nagios to do that??

I failed to understand this one.

> - how this method will affect my network ??

extra load on routers and network. But for most it will be less then 0.1%
extra ;-)

> - how the status map is created?? automatically or i need to say to nagios
> what is connected whith what?

You need to define the child-parent relations to get an acurate map from
the perspective of the nagios machine.

> - i need to register router by router or is there anyway to Nagios look on
> the net for routers? and what about the interfaces, i need to register all
> interfaces or just registering the router nagios can find for the
> interfaces?

Whatever pleases you as far as the interface are concerned. I suggest you
print the manual and read it cover to cover at least once. Then go ahead
and play as there is no substitute for actual doing things yourself to
learn it.

Hugo.

--
 	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/