Snmp - How do you use yours? Check your antivirus DATfile age

Thomas Jens Lauritsen tjl at topdanmark.dk
Mon Dec 11 15:41:46 CET 2006

Hi list,

I had a lot of people asking me how to check the age of the antivirus dat
file via SNMP.

It is only possible to do so if you can get som values to read via SNMP.

Our mail system supports snmp, therefore it also supports snmp for values
like the antivirusDATfile number.

So you can read the DATfile and then you can also get the difference when
it has changed or been updated,

You can then setup a criteria to get an alarm/warning if it has not been
changed since 48 hours.

We get 4 different DATfiles to 4 differnet scanners, so if just one of
them is updated = all good = then I do not get an alarm.

So all in all it´s simply just to check if a value has not been changed
for x hours.

Best regards

Thomas