Nagios Looking Glass - Roadmap 2007

Sun Dec 10 17:51:12 CET 2006

Well it's been a little while since I've released any information about
Nagios Looking Glass, but have no fear, I've been working solidly on
v1.0.0 for the last 3-4 weeks.
NLG is due for public release on or shortly after New Year's Day to give
network admins who are planning on implementing NLG a chance to catch a
break over the holidays!

NLG 1.0.0#PRE is the pre-release beta which will be posted on the
project page on Nagios Exchange in approximately 1-2 week's time.
It is a major rewrite to 0.2.5, which fixes a number of issues I was
unhappy with in the code-base, and provides a sound framework for
further developments in the future.  I'm therefore releasing 1.0.0#PRE
as a last-chance to beta the code before the 1.0 release in January.

Throughout the coming fortnight, I've got a few minor changes as well as
the documentation to write.  I have only 4 remaining tasks on the
tracker to implement so it's all good :)

Feature list / changes for 1.0-series:

- Upgraded poller to series 3 (S3)
- Shared files (config, functions) are synchronised between server- and
client-side automatically
- Improved HTTP authentication configuration from client-to-server to be
more obvious (thanks to Mark Novak)
- Rewritten server "paging" feature to be more stable (fixed 2 bugs in
the pager)
- Completely re-written template system; allows NLG admins to write
their own templates, and users can select their preferred template if
allowed by the NLG admin
- Fixed a bug from the S2 poller, where "hostname --fqdn" didn't work on
non-BSD systems (using "hostname" instead)
- Data returned from poller is cached on client-side for reduced load on
Nagios server and network bandwidth
- Improved data streams between the client and poller allows for
"same-server" setups (thanks to Hari Sekhon)
- "Traffic-light", "at-a-glance" network status page
- Much improved "Allowed IP" lists - proper ACLs in similar fashion to
Apache's "allow,deny" configuration (thanks to Andreas Ericsson)
- Restrictions on IP can now be applied to client and server separately
- Much improved server filters allow any combination of server statuses
to be filtered
- All language texts are either in the template, or in a separate
language file, allowing a language change without changing NLG's code-base
- Add '#NLG:' at the start of a host/service comment within Nagios to
pass that comment to NLG's front-end
--- (eg. to alert users to planned downtime/maintenance etc without
having to key the same info on 2 different systems)

Roadmap for 1.x
---------------

New features planned for 1.1-series (to be released Q1 2007):

- HTTP authentication to allow users to login and see different
templates based on their login status
--- (eg. so administrators can see plugin output but 'guest' users cannot)
- Extended host/service data passed from Nagios to NLG
- Add a service filter in the host detail page to filter services (same
fashion as 'host' filter)

New features planned for 1.2-series (to be released Q2 2007):

- Restrict users to only viewing certain hosts and services based on
their login status
- Only show certain hosts in NLG based on the host_group mapping in
Nagios (thanks to Hari Sekhon for the feature request)

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834