Limiting notification message size

Saletan, Jesse Jesse.Saletan at amd.com
Tue Dec 5 03:54:32 CET 2006

Hello, Nagios users.

I'm trying to use e-mails sent to my cell phone's address to receive
real-time notifications from Nagios.  Through trial and error, and a bit
of Googling, I've found that e-mails under 160 characters are sent to my
phone as SMS messages.  These SMS messages arrive very quickly.
Messages greater than this size are sent as MMS (multimedia) messages
and are delayed for anywhere from 10 minutes to many hours.  They're
also typically billed as 4-5 messages by my cellular service provider.

I'd like to know if it's possible to send out two types of
notifications: 1) an abbreviated one that will always be under 160
characters, which I would send only to mobile devices, and 2) the
standard notifications that I receive now to my regular (non cell phone)
e-mail address.  I suppose it may be possible to configure Postfix to
truncate messages to certain addresses.  Before I go in that direction I
thought I'd run it by some other users to see if Nagios itself has this
ability.

Thanks,
Jesse