Electrical monitoring -> Nagios

Robert King robert.king at ingenta.com
Fri Dec 1 23:37:50 CET 2006

I've not used this product myself, so I can't vouch for it, but is
something like this what you're looking for?

http://www.geneq.com/catalog/en/ectlsr~1.htm

Looks like they've got both AC Current and temperature probes available
for the unit. It's an inductive current probe, so would require no
direct electrical connection that could possibly void the warranty of
any of your equipment.

Output is via RS232, they specify the "TrendReader" software for Windows
to interface with the device. Devices like this usually output in some
plain-text format. So, it's probably worth contacting the manufacturer
and asking them for specs on the data output format.

We use the excellent TempTrax probe recommended by nagios.org, to
monitor out data center temperatures. It also outputs its temperature
data via RS232. So if you've got a working knowledge of C, it should be
a pretty easy exercise to modify the TempTrax nagios check, to work with
a device like the one above.

Maybe someone else on the list can offer a more turnkey solution, but
hopefully this is at least some food for thought!

--
Robert King - Ingenta, Inc. UNIX Systems Administrator
GPG Public key: http://tinyurl.com/9zmws