Too many warnings and critical in Connectivity service(check_ping)

angel cuevas rumin acuevasrumin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 10:09:59 CEST 2006

Hi everybody,

I installed nagios on a Linux Mandriva 2006 monitroting a LAN.

I have many warnings and critical alerts in the connectivity service which
is a command based on check_ping sending 5 packets. The parameters
configured for these alerts are:

        ------ Warning: rtt>300ms, loss>25%(our intention is to receive a
warning with more than 1 packet lost)
        ------ Crticial: time>500 ms, loss=100%

Everytime we receive an alert, within the following minute the system is
recovered from this alert. And those elements which are showing these alerts
are working perfectly. Therefore we don't understand why Nagios is showing
these alerts.
Also we cheked with ethereal these alert events and the information given by
ethereal doesn't match  with the information given by Nagios.

We would appreciate if someone who has had the same problem or if someone
who knows sometihng about this problem could help us.

P.D: Another problem we found using check_fping (instead check_ping) is that
this command doesn't add the sequence number onto the icmp packet which are
sent.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards