Showing Down but all service indicators are green

Matt Whitted mwhitted at pantek.com
Fri Aug 25 17:57:19 CEST 2006

>> Each of the services, including the nagios server all have
>> the correct results showing on the service detail page but
>> the host names are showing red. On the status map page all of
>> the hosts show down.
>>
>> I have manually verified, using check_nrpe <plugin name>
>> <switches> each of the remote hosts and manually run each of
>> the plugins on the nagios server.
>> All of them return the correct results, thus the correct
>> results on the pages.
>>
>> I feel so much better when I see green. Anyone have the
>> obvious fix. I remember it was so simple when I got past this before.
>
> Sounds like a fairly simple matter of your host checks failing.  Try
> running whatever your host check command is as the Nagios user and
> that'll probably tell you why, if it doesn't give you an obvious enough
> answer on the host info page.

The default host check is check_ping with some mildly liberal
thresholds.  If you look for the host check command in your config
files, you'll probably find a 50-100ms threshold pre-configured.  If
your hosts are across the public Internet, sometimes those values will
need adjusted.  Your host status page should tell you what the actual
round trip time is as a basis for choosing the correct values.

Matt

Pantek, Inc. - http://www.pantek.com/ - info at pantek.com
+1-877-LINUX-FIX - Expert Open Source Software IT Services.