NSCA only accepts first check

Andrew M. Lyons lyonsam at accre.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Aug 24 01:20:05 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure nsca, and I've run into a problem:  NSCA only
accepts the first passive check that is sent to it, and all subsequent
checks fail.

first check:
[18:05:02]$ echo -e "vmp161.vampire\tMyrinet Connectivity\t0\tBLAH\n" |
./src/send_nsca -H monitor -c nsca.cfg
1 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.

second try:
[18:11:29]$ echo -e "vmp161.vampire\tMyrinet Connectivity\t0\tBLAH\n" |
./src/send_nsca -H monitor -c nsca.cfg
Error: Timeout after 10 seconds

After restarting the nsca daemon on the monitoring host, it will again
accept a single check, and all subsequent checks will timeout.

The nsca.cfg on the remote host has only a password entry.  Here are the
relevant bits from the nsca.cfg on the nagios server(monitor):

pid_file=/var/run/nsca.pid
server_port=<the port>
server_address=<the addr>
nsca_user=nagios
nsca_group=nagios
debug=1
command_file=/var/log/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd
alternate_dump_file=/var/log/nagios/rw/nsca.dump
aggregate_writes=0
append_to_file=0
max_packet_age=30
password=<the pw>