BUG? Segfault & coredump with scheduled downtime, downtime scheduled horked

karl.kornel at mindspeed.com karl.kornel at mindspeed.com
Mon Aug 21 22:35:11 CEST 2006

Dear all,

        I have a small but interesting update regarding the problem I have
been having:  Nagios' regular crashing when multiple downtimes are
scheduled.

        I have verified the behavior the I described earlier.  All
downtimes (6 or more) are submitted to Nagios at midnight.  The first
downtime starts as normal.  However, when the first downtime ends, all
other downtimes immediately begin, even though it is not their time.  This
time, however:

1) I did not use Nagios version 2.5.  I used the version of Nagios in CVS
(I downloaded the daily CVS tarball from 17 August 2006).

2) When I noticed that all of my scheduled downtimes were active when they
should not have been, I checked the downtime.dat file.  The downtime.dat
file contained correct information, the downtime start and end times were
all correct.  It seems that Nagios had decided to corrupt those values in
memory.

3) After I was done looking at downtime.dat, I restarted Nagios (through
the CGIs).  Nagios promptly restarted, and everything seems back to
normal.  I guess Nagios reloaded the downtime schedule from the data file.

        So, more useful information.  So far I haven't received any advice
on my problem, either on-list or off-list?  Any ideas/advice/help?  Thanks
in advance!

-- A. Karl Kornel, Mindspeed Technologies, Inc.
karl.kornel at mindspeed.com -- (949) 579-3503
"Remember the Rules: Separation & Optimization"