Service Checks in Distributed mode

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 21 21:48:59 CEST 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Ian Marks wrote:

> My 2 current nagios servers are running on Dell 1750's. Each has a
> 2.4GHz Xeon Processor and 2 Gigs of Ram. What type of specs would be
> needed if I were to add a central server that only deals with passive
> checks?  I am pretty sure I could come up with a smaller server; would
> it be better to use that for the centralized server, or move one the
> 1750's into that role?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian
<snip>

Ian,

I'm familiar with the 1750s having used them in my past job.  I had a 1750
as my Central getting updates from about 20 different Distributeds and
accounting for about 1000 total services.  The 1750 was definitely up to
that task and probably had RAM/CPU cycles to spare.  You could probably
have an even smaller box, maybe a Dell 850 server as your Central.

Hope that helps!

-D