Service Checks in Distributed mode

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 21 20:04:16 CEST 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Ian Marks wrote:

> I have 2 nagios 2.5 servers running; both are doing active checks, but
> one acts as the "central" server and receives passive checks from the
> other.  I have it set up this way so our analysts will only have to
> monitor "one" server.  I am seeing major delays with service checks on
> the central server.  I am assuming my server is getting backed up trying
> to process all the passive checks, so the active checks are only being
> executed every 30-45 minutes.  Is this possible?  What would be the best
> way to solve this problem, removing the passive checks?

My suggestion in a Distributed environment is to have your Central server
perform only passive checks.  This cleans up the configuration a bit and
allows for the "one page to view" feature you are after.  If, for network
topology issues, you need to have two Distributed active Nagios boxes, I
would add a third, Central and have each Distributed send results over to
this third box.  It helps to rsync or otherwise copy the files from
Distributed to Central to avoid having multiple configuration points.

If your total number of services monitored is above 1,000, I would suggest
a slight modification from what the docs suggest.  That is to use global
service event handlers to notify of changes versus ocsp.  This will cut
down on the number of updates to your Central server dramatically and
reduce the lag from a change on Distributed to that change being reflected
on Central.

Any questions, please ask.

-D