Scaling question for all

Patrick Mannion patrickjmannion at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 22:49:55 CEST 2006

My company is currently reevaluating our server monitoring toolset.
There are a number of tools on the table for review, as you might expect
- CA Unicenter, Microsoft Operations Manager, Tibco Hawk, Nagios, and
some home-grown tools. I've been tasked with identifying what would be
involved in implementing Nagios there.

The environment is large - 10,000 Windows servers and 6,000
Linux/Solaris/Tru64 servers (and a dozen VMS boxes) - a total of 120,000
managed objects in all, from CPUs to processes to filesystems and
services, located around the world in seven main locations with
connections from dark fiber to 256k leased lines. I know that will mean
a distributed Nagios architecture, but I'm not sure just how it should
be done. I've seen references to two Nagios boxes configured for
fault-tolerance handling about 3,000 objects, and other anecdotes
indicating a number closer to 20,000 objects per pair.

My question for everyone is three-part - 1) how would you recommend
laying this out in Nagios, at a high level; 2) how many objects would
you control with a Nagios server maximum; and 3) would you consider
running the Nagios servers as virtual machines under either Xen or VMWare?

Thanks in advance...