regular expression matching.

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Fri Aug 18 23:52:23 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 16:25 -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
Then again, maybe it isn't.  The title of this option is accurate but
easily misunderstood.  It isn't so much about changing how the
characters are interpreted, i.e., non-true uses "*" while true uses ".*"
but rather where regex interpretation takes place.  We leave it disabled
because we do not want all of our strings interpreted as regular
expressions.

Then again, maybe this is why we have found Nagios regex a little
inconsistent.  I wonder how it delimits a string.  I would view:

abc.*(?:def|ghi|jkl)

as a string but perhaps Nagios thinks the only regex is abc.*
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com