regular expression matching.

smiller at co.slo.ca.us smiller at co.slo.ca.us
Fri Aug 18 21:44:17 CEST 2006

I am also interested in hearing more about this... I had no luck trying to
use forward assertions in order to omit a few select hosts from a service
definition.

Thank you, Christian.

---
Steve Miller <smiller at co.slo.ca.us>
Network Engineer
Information Technology Department
County of San Luis Obispo
805-781-5097

Christian Hedegaard <christian.hedegaard at trustcommerce.com>
Sent by: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
08/18/2006 11:44 AM

nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
cc

Subject
[Nagios-users] regular expression matching.

The Nagios documentation relating to the "regular expression" matching
seems very thin to me. And not quite clear.

It appears, by example, that the only regular expressions you can use
are "*" and "?", which I would just consider wildcard matching and not
regular expressions.

Regardless, can anything else be used as far as these "regular
expressions" are concerned?

The documentation uses the examples of "host *", and I am assuming that
I can do something like "host *-edu" or "host tc-??-00".

And can these regular expressions be used everywhere in the configs? For
instance, we have an 110K escalations config file that could in theory
be reduced to just:

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                       *
        service_description             *
        first_notification              3
        last_notification               0
        contact_groups
on-duty-pagers,off-duty-pagers,operations-email
        notification_interval           30
        }

Right now we have one unique entry for every service_description on
every host_name.

So is the above correct? would that work? can anything at all be used
besides "*" and "?" for matching?

Thanks!

P.S. Are there any plans to clarify the documentation in this regards?

--
Christian Hedegaard-Schou
Sr. Systems Administrator
christian.hedegaard at trustcommerce.com