check_ping and source address

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Fri Aug 18 16:35:05 CEST 2006

>> Ben,
>>
>> There is a patch that has been submitted on SF for this
>> functionality: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
>> func=detail&aid=1499641&group_id=29880&atid=397599
>>
>> Unfortunately, this will not be applied into the main plugin code
>> because it is too painful to parse through all the different
>> distributions of ping to see if the source address option is supported.

This is the result of the design decision to write a C-wrapper around a
userland binary and except the output to be in a unified, machine
independent format.

I think we're kind of kidding ourselves suggesting that code of that
nature isn't going to get ugly.

#IFDEF is your friend.  Talk to the Net-SNMP people.  They've mastered the
art of platform-independent C on POSIX systems.

> Cheers for the reply Ton, yes, it probably isnt the best way to do it,
> im using FreeBSD and ping on there takes -S for source address, -l is
> preload.

Right on FreeBSD it's -S, but they also have a -I of iface, as if you
could ask your system to source traffic from an address not local to an
source interface, or if you have multiple interfaces in the same subnet.

On NetBSD the option is "-I" ifaddr, no -S + I,

On OpenBSD it is "-I"

On Solaris it's "-i"

On Ultrix it's "-r"

On Darwin it's "-i" from FreeBSD 4.11
The option is not supported on OpenDarwin

The option is not supported on HFUX 11x

On AIX it's "-i"

On Linux its anyone's guess because there are 5000 distributions and they
refuse to centralize source code repositories for many userland binaries,
insisting, instead, on maintaining local patches and refusing to feed them
patches upstream.

RHL9 is "-I"
Suse 10 is "-I"
Slackware does not support the option

Who really cares about the rest? They can maintain local patches ...that
what they're most proficient at >:}

~BAS

>> However, it is very useful functionality. If you can provide a patch
>> for check_icmp (the pure C implementation of check_ping), we would
>> definitely re-evaluate it.
>
> A bit beyond my knowledge im afraid, but it does sound like other
> people would find it useful if anyone manages to code something up ;-)
>
> Ben
>>
>> Ton
>>
>> http://www.altinity.com
>> T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
>> F: +44 (0)845 280 1725
>> Skype: tonvoon

>> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
>> ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.
>>

> --
> "A Scientist will earn a living by taking a really difficult problem
> and spends many years solving it, an engineer earns a living by
> finding really difficult problems and side stepping them"

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)

"...back in the heady days when "Helpdesk" meant nothing, "diskquota"
meant everything, and lives could be bought and sold for a couple of pages
of laser printout - And frequently were."