sms_client: In Nagios 1.4 it works, but not in 2.5 ?

D.J. Bolderman d.bolderman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 13:55:53 CEST 2006

> > At the moment I have Nagios 1.4 running and sending out sms alerts
> > when necessary. This works OK.
> >
> > I installed Nagios 2.5 today (debian unstable) and found out the sms
> > alerts are not being sent anymore.
> >
> > In Nagios 2.5 I am using the same misccommands.cfg as 1.4, so I'm a
> > bit unsure where the problem is...
> >
> > Anyone experienced the same during their upgrade from 1.4 to 2.5 ?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hi.
>
> Some of the macros has changed in 2.x
>
> Check out the macros in your misccommands.cfg against the macros in 2.x
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/macros.html

Thanks. I found out that $OUTPUT$ is not valid anymore. I had to
specify $SERVICEOUTPUT$ and $HOSTOUTPUT$.

In the Nagios events I can see that the message is now correct, but it
still times out

[2006-08-18 13:47:32] Warning: Contact 'dick_sms' host notification
command '/usr/bin/sms_client -q kpn:xxxxxxxxx 'RECOVERY: server is UP
(PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.22 ms)' -l 4' timed out after 30
seconds

In my misccommands.cfg:

define command{
        command_name host-notify-by-sms
        command_line /usr/bin/sms_client -q kpn:xxxxxxx
'$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ ($HOSTOUTPUT$)' -l 4
}

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dick