check_http can't follow redirect properly, no cookies!

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 17 16:28:40 CEST 2006

Ton Voon wrote:
> No cookies in check_http, I'm afraid. It would be a nightmare enhance
> it to hold sessions.
>
> If you are good with perl, look at WWW::Mechanize. This allows you to
> store cookies and interact with a website as if you were a browser. We
> use this to login to monitor a betting site and retrieve funds
> information.
>
> On 17 Aug 2006, at 12:18, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I've got check_http doing a login which works fine and I'm using the
>> --onredirect=follow to make sure I can fetch the secured page it's
>> redirected to.
>>
>> The problem is that when the page is fetched it is fetched without the
>> previously supplied credentials and therefore I get a login page instead
>> of the page within the secure area.
>>
>> I really really need to get the page in the secure area. Does anybody
>> know how to make it store and use the credentials for the redirect. It's
>> obviously not using it's cookie and I've looked through the --help but
>> it makes not mention of cookies...
>>

> http://www.altinity.com
> T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
> F: +44 (0)845 280 1725
> Skype: tonvoon

that's a real pain, but I understand. Curl can actually deal with
cookies so I may end up rustling up a quick script in bash with that,
I've already done some cli tests with it and it works nicely, but longer
term I think I'll have to brush up my perl (I know the very basics) and
do something with Mechanize. I think that this will be a good
opportunity for me to do something useful in Perl.

Thanks for the pointer.

Hari