New check script: check_nsca

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Wed Aug 16 17:39:53 CEST 2006

On 16 Aug, 2006, at 17:25, Marc Powell wrote:

> It's a useful plugin to be sure but doesn't Freshness Checking address
> this problem?
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/freshness.html

Of course you're completely right. But:
1) It's better to be safe than sorry. Double checking is always nice.
2) There are situations where freshness checking isn't used.

To given an example of number 2:
At my current client "they" never set up Nagios to use freshness
checking, except in a rare few occasions (say twenty out of a
thousand-plus service checks). I guess it was down to inexperience on
the side of the guy who set it up... Whatev'...

But now we're in the situation where we have at least a hundred
service checks that are completely out of whack. Not fresh at all. We
-could- turn on freshness checking for the lot, but can you imagine
management's panic when they see the huge amount of Criticals rolling
in? No... We'd rather fix things gradually and use this check as a
stopgap solution. That way we'll still notice it if NSCA borks, while
still keeping a "clean" status screen (even if it is all one big
lie :p).

Cheers!

Thomas