Daily status report?

Stanley Hopcroft stanleyhopcroft at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 00:39:08 CEST 2006

Dear Folks,

I  writing to thank you for an interesting thread and say,

On 16/08/06, rader at ginseng.hep.wisc.edu <rader at ginseng.hep.wisc.edu> wrote:

>  > From: Josh Yost
>  > what kind of output are you wanting exactly?
>
> Something like this:
>
> bash$ nagiosr --help
> usage: nagiosr [args]
>  --state str     report about state str (down, critical, warning or unknown)
>  --yesterday     report about yesterday
>  --day str       report for day str
>  --start str     report starting at str
>  --end str       report ending at str
>  --soft          include soft state alerts
> default reporting period is for all of today
> bash$ nagiosr --yesterday
>
>   Critical Nagios Alerts during Monday, August 14 2006
>
> Date & Time Down   Date & Time Up    Description                  Plugin Output  Duration
> ----------------   ----------------  ------------------------------------------  --------
> Mon Aug 14 10:25   Mon Aug 14 10:27  login01 SSH Service       socket timed out     2m20s
> Mon Aug 14 11:52   Mon Aug 14 11:58  sesame Load Average           6.83 loadave     5m32s
> Mon Aug 14 13:27   ** still down **  cilanto NSR tape               99 GB avail    1d2h3m
>
> Almost exactly a decade ago I coded just such a report generator
> for an old network montoring package (NOCOL).  Someday I hope to
> do the same for nagios.

This looks pretty good.

There is also a Perl module which you can use to create your own
reports from avail.cgi in a variety of formats.

The distro examples/host_down_report contains an example of a quick
and dirty but useful report derived from the module.

/usr/local/bin/host_down_report { -t <timeperiod>  | -h '<host_regex> }'

Displays host outages for the hosts matching the -h option, in the
interval defined by the timeperiod.

  for each outage in the interval, sorted in ascending order of time
down (ie when the outage occurred)
    displays the
      host_name
      time the host went down
      time the host came up
      the outage

timeperiod ::= today     | yesterday   |
               thisweek  | lastweek    |
               thismonth | lastmonth   |
               thisyear  | lastyear    |
               last12hours    | last24hours      | last7days | last31days   |
               HHMM      | HH:MM       |
               DD.MM.YY  | DD.MM.YYYY  | MM/DD/YY | MM/DD/YYYY    |
               24hourtime date         |
               date1 - date2           |
               24hourtime date1 - 24hourtime date2 |

Timeperiods other than 'yesterday', 'lastweek', 'lastmonth' or
'lastyear' end now.

If the -h option is missing, select all (host) outages in the time period.
If the -t option is missing but the -h option is present, select all
matching hosts for 'thismonth'.
One or both of the -t and -h options must be used.

The version on CPAN & Nag exchange (0.002) works fine but has been
enhanced for the half the world that don't use Euro date formats.

Should be out in soon.

Yours sincerely.