Question about NRPE configuration file

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler at rl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 14 12:25:40 CEST 2006

I am in the process of migrating from a configuration with a single
Nagios server to one with a master and a slave server.  As part of this
migration I have updated the NRPE configuration that is installed on the
clients to include both hosts as allowed_hosts for NRPE calls.  However
I noticed that at NRPE restart, the following messages are issued:

Aug 14 09:24:15 NODENAME nrpe[2592]: Unknown option specified in config
file '/etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg' - Line 41
Aug 14 09:24:15 NODENAME nrpe: nrpe startup succeeded
Aug 14 09:24:15 NODENAME nrpe[2593]: Starting up daemon
Aug 14 09:24:15 NODENAME nrpe[2593]: Warning: Daemon is configured to
accept command arguments from clients!

Line 41 of /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg is the allowed_hosts line which reads
(with context):

# ALLOWED HOST ADDRESSES
# This is a comma-delimited list of IP address of hosts that are allowed
# to talk to the NRPE daemon.
#
# NOTE: The daemon only does rudimentary checking of the client's IP
#       address.  I would highly recommend adding entries in your
#	/etc/hosts.allow file to allow only the specified host to
connect
#	to the port you are running this daemon on.
#
# NOTE: This option is ignored if NRPE is running under either inetd or
xinetd

allowed_hosts=III.III.III.111, III.III.III.222

where III.III.III.111 and III.III.III.222 are the IP addresses of the
Nagios servers

Is the error message (from /var/log/messages) misleading ?  Or is there
an error in the configuration ?

Any help would be appreciated

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre