stange symbols in notifications

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 14 11:42:53 CEST 2006

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Thomas Sluyter wrote:
>
>>> After following your suggestion regarding prinf and checking the
>>> previously unchanged misccommand.cfg I'm not entirely sure what is
>>> going on here. The definition for email is below:
>>> This doesn't look bad to me, it seems to simply be using lots of
>>> Macro$ so I assume that the macro must be sending it something funny....
>>> Will have to scratch my head and try to track that down.
>>>
>> You -did- notice that to printf "\b" is a backspace, right? Which
>> would totally explain what you're seeing...
>>

> err, I think that is the notation for a backslash escaped sequence, not
> a backspace character, which is \b.
>
> It turns out that the points at which I am getting those strange squares
> is actually replacing "\\" and "\" in \\hostname\sharename.
>
> So I know where the problem is and what part needs fixing, but I have
> tried to recreate it on the command line but the message never comes
> through to me to fully diagnose.
>
> eg..
>
> echo '\\hostname\sharename' | mail -s "test" me at mydomain.com
>
> but I haven't gotten this. Strange, that now I'm not getting messages
> from /bin/mail. Will have to look into this and get back to you.
>

> Hari

ok, after looking at my mail server the problem was the oh so brilliant
thunderbird client. sorted. now back to the original problem...

I've fixed the character issue in the notifications with
\\hostname\sharename. The problem lies with the %b in the printf
statement. I changed this to %q. Remember that the system's printf is
superseded by the shell  built-in. Any way, the %q defines that the
argument list is appropriately formatted for shell reuse which is
exactly the was that it is being used in the mail pipe for this
notification functionality.

Thanks for the help, you've given me the jolt I needed.

Hari