stange symbols in notifications

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat Aug 12 00:20:55 CEST 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Hari Sekhon wrote:

> Hari Sekhon wrote:
> > Here is an example
> >
> > CRITICAL: Only 19.11G (4%) free on 92.168.1.138ig2
> >

> > Why does it seem to be mangled? Is this a character set issue or a local issue or something?

> also, the web interface shows this normally:
>
> CRITICAL: Only 18.85G (4%) free on \\192.168.1.138\big2
>
> but the email alerts always come out as
>
> CRITICAL: Only 18.88G (4%) free on 92.168.1.138ig2

Which makes sense if you read the printf() documentation. You are using a
character which has a special meaning in string handling environments.
Just get rid of those backslashes or escape them properly.

> It's not that terrible cos I still know what's going on but this
> shouldn't happen, and I'd like to resolve it.

You got exactly what you ordered.

Hugo.

		Don't meddle in the affairs of magicians,
		for they are subtle and quick to anger.