Nagios process not running? It is running!

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 11 19:53:24 CEST 2006

I have been operating Nagios and most of it's features to monitor 70
services for quite some time successfully but something that I want to
fix now is a tiny thing in the top of the screen which says:

Current Network Status
Last Updated: Fri Aug 11 18:42:22 BST 2006
Updated every 90 seconds
Nagios® - www.nagios.org <http://www.nagios.org>
Logged in as /nagiosadmin/
Warning: Monitoring process may not be running!
Click here <http://nagios/nagios/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?type=0> for more info.

The Nagios process is running and it's showing the following details
when clicking the link "here"

Process Information
Program Start Time: 	11-08-2006 18:40:29
Total Running Time: 	0d 0h 3m 11s
Last External Command Check: 	11-08-2006 18:43:30
Last Log File Rotation: 	N/A
Nagios PID 	5396
Notifications Enabled?
  YES
Service Checks Being Executed?
  YES
Passive Service Checks Being Accepted?
  YES
Event Handlers Enabled? 	Yes
Obsessing Over Services? 	No
Flap Detection Enabled? 	No
Performance Data Being Processed? 	No

Process Commands
It appears as though Nagios is not running, so commands are temporarily
unavailable...

Process Status Information
Process Status:
  UNKNOWN
Check Command Output:  	Nagios check command did not return any output

The nagios check command is definitely running and the check_command is
defined as follows in the cgi.cfg:

nagios_check_command=/usr/nagios/libexec/check_nagios
/var/nagios/status.log 5 /usr/nagios/bin/nagios

I've run this from the command line as both root and the nagios user
which the process runs under. The result is positive as follows:

Nagios ok: located 1 process, status log updated 11 seconds ago

So why doesn't Nagios think it works? Using I/O redirection I've
isolated that it is indeed printed to stdout so this should just work.
It shouldn't be complaining about "Nagios check command did not return
any output".

ll /var/nagios/
total 72
drwxrwxr-x 2 nagios apache  4096 Aug 11 00:00 archives/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios     0 Aug 11 18:40 comment.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios     0 Aug 11 18:40 downtime.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root       5 Aug 11 18:40 nagios.lock
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 24430 Aug 11 18:53 nagios.log
drwxrws--- 2 nagios apache  4096 Aug 11 18:40 rw/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 18044 Aug 11 18:54 status.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios nagios 13602 Aug 11 18:40 status.sav

Although this is in the FAQ, it simply says make sure the check_command
is done is cgi.cfg which isn't helpful to me in this situation since I
know the command is in there and it's paths are correct.

Anybody got any ideas on this?