Definition of downtime

Jim Cheetham jim at inode.co.nz
Fri Aug 11 12:11:19 CEST 2006

I've just installed Nagios (first time re-using it in a year or so) and
a real event occurred; I'm trying to work out the timings.

It looks like the availability report calculates "downtime" as the time
between the first hard failure and the first success, whereas I'd define
it as the time between the first soft failure that resulted in hard
failure, and first success ... indeed, as this was a router going down,
I'd say that downtime was the time between the first soft failure of the
child service, and the first success of the parent host.

Is this all explained or discussed somewhere?

In more detail; I have an unreliable router in front of a host, and a
number of services on the host. A host service check soft failed at time
t, and was then rechecked repeatedly until a hard failure was imminent
at time t+18. At t+19 the router was checked, and produced a soft
failure, and these repeated until t+38, where a hard failure was
declared for both; router DOWN and host UNREACHABLE. Eventually a check
succeeded at time t+n.

The availability report for these machines now shows outage of (t+38 to
t+n); but in this case I think it should be (t+1 to t+n); or at least
(t+19 to t+n). Can someone help me figure out why Nagios prefers the
more conservative definition?

Related to this, I'd like to know the times of the last successful
tests, but I can't find that for historical events, only for current
ones (I'm on Debian, using the nagios-text package, if that helps).
Where should I be looking; or should I be using a different backend?

-jim