No e-mail notifications with new 2.5 install on Debian Etch

Samuel P Howard nagios at GMxTechnologies.com
Wed Aug 9 07:02:07 CEST 2006

Hi.

I noticed a recent thread by Marcos Marinho having what sounds like a
similar problem, but no solution yet ...

I have just built from source and installed Nagios 2.5 on a Debian Etch
(testing) server, and when I cause a fault, the nagios.log shows it
triggers the notification-by-email, but yet the /var/log/mail.info does
not show postfix firing up to send the mail out.

I did notice that the command setup in minimal.cfg (what I am playing
with now, the other command files are disabled) did not put in a mail
client, as I did not have one installed.  I installed mutt, and added it
to the command line after the | and before the -s, and also redirected
the output of the command to a text file and (spacing aside), it looked
OK.  I'm not sure if the spacing should have been compressed or not, so
that is a good question.

Running the command manually as root or as nagios, I do get an e-mail
(as long as I manually replace the $CONTACTEMAIL$ to a real email
address ... obviously, none of the other variables get expanded, but the
mail does flow.

Is there some way to turn on additional debugging to see if the nagios
daemon is failing on the command somewhere???

Notificiations are enabled, etc, etc.

I have some experience with Nagios as far back as the NetSaint days, but
haven't been able to play with it for a few years, and now have the
opportunity again.  It looks like it's progressed nicely!

Now, if I could get my may email notifications going, I could dig back
in and try to figure out the best way to build configuration files and
all of that good stuff!

Thanks!
Sam