Problems with check_ping

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Aug 3 20:27:23 CEST 2006

Please always respond on list so that others may benefit from your
experience.

Most likely /bin/ping isn't executable by your nagios user. Can you ping
something as nagios?

Why that's the case depends on your OS. Most likely problem is that
/bin/ping isn't suid root. Permissions should look similar to --

-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        27860 Sep 29  2005 /bin/ping

If not, try 'chmod u+s /bin/ping' then try to ping again.

If you have SELinux enabled, that may be preventing the execution of
ping by nagios. Check /var/log/messages for errors/warnings and or run
audit2allow to check for matches and possible resolutions (audit2allow
-l -i /var/log/messages).

--
Marc