Antwort: Recovery not getting sent duringdowntime?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Aug 3 07:57:08 CEST 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 srunschke at abit.de wrote:

> nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 02.08.2006 18:36:18:
>
> > I think you might want to rethink your process so that it matches the
> > paradigm of the tool you are using. It already can do what you want if
> > you just work with the way it was designed, rather than forcing a
> > process that breaks the paradigm.
>
> I think you might want to re-read my mail, it seems you did
> not fully understand what I meant ;)

The same issue might be the case the other way around.

> > >Reboot
> > >Host/Service OK
> > Recovery Note goes out to everyone, including CTO. Problem Solved.
> > Everyone knows what is happening. Your performance evaluation gets a
> > boost for being the one to solve the problem.
>
> Uhm and what about the 2 SMS going out to everyone stating the
> host going down and up again? That is neither expected (by the rest
> of the admins for example), nor wanted behaviour.

That are two completely different things. You propably did not expect the
service to go down either. But it did. So how is that different in someone
taking a full server down to 'fix' a service?

The 'damage' of that action is propably larger then the single service. So
shouldn't the rest know you took such draconic actions to fix a service?
Even if happened to be the only option.

> I DO know what the documentation says regarding scheduled downtimes.
> I DO know it says it suppresses all alerts.
> Yet I still say it should not suppress recoveries for critical/warning/
> unknown which happened before a schedule downtime. Somewhere else in the
> documentation (or was it by Ethan somewhere else?) it states that for
> every alert sent, there will be a recovery if it goes OK again.

Pardon me for noting this sounds a lot like guessing. But feel free to
show a reference.

And if you find conflicting statements then you know both of them can not
be true at the same time. I think you found out which one of the two is
true and which one is not.

In the end. You got the sources. If this bothers you so much you are free
to use them and rewrite certain aspects the way you think it needs to be.

If this is such a business critical tool then I am sure someone is willing
to pay for someone to rewrite this to suit your needs.

Hugo.

		Don't meddle in the affairs of magicians,
		for they are subtle and quick to anger.