disabled ping and check_smtp: nagios won't not ping

Chris Paul chris.paul at sentinare.com
Thu Aug 3 04:02:58 CEST 2006

Hello, Nagios Users,

I need to check_smtp without a PING check, but I can't get nagios to do
this. One of my customers insists on turning off ICMP, which I actually
have no problem with, except this one.

Here's the operative definitions I'm attempting:

# 'relay1' host definition
define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_group              mail-servers
        alias                   mail-servers
        check_command           check_tcp!25
        contact_groups          admins
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   30
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

# 'mail servers' host group definition
define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  mail-servers
        alias           mail-servers
        members         relay1
        }

# mail-servers
define service{
        hostgroup_name                  mail-servers
        service_description             SMTP
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           30
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,c,r
        check_command                   check_mailserver
        }

# 'check_mailserver' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_mailserver
        command_line    $USER1$/check_smtp -t 45 -p 25 -C "MAIL FROM:
test at sentinare.com" -R "250" -C "RCPT TO: chris.paul at sentinare.com" -R
"250" -H $HOSTADDRESS$
}

CP