Antwort: Recovery not gettingsent duringdowntime?

srunschke at abit.de srunschke at abit.de
Thu Aug 3 01:21:45 CEST 2006

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 02.08.2006 18:42:56:

> Or you could temporarily disable notifications for the host during the
> reboot.  The Nagios docs are pretty clear that "[w]hen a host a service
> is in a period of scheduled downtime, notifications for that host or
> service will be suppressed."  It's working as designed.

It's working exactly as phrased in this part of the documentation.
But we're not the church and the documentation ain't the bible,
therefor it can be faulty ;)

All I'm saying is the fact, that the documented and shown behaviour
does not make all that much sense if viewed from certain points.

> I think we also have different definitions of "scheduled."  That's not a
> word I would use to describe rebooting a box to bring a failed service
> back up.

Well yes, that might be.
But if I understand you correct, then your definition of "scheduled"
means that it has to be planned long before for a certain timeperiod.
That's not what it's meant for. There's a reason why you cannot enter
fixed downtimes for certain periods as in "scheduling them ahead".
You can only "schedule" downtimes instantly with a click, they're
meant to be used like that - they don't leave you any other choice.

I do not really see a difference between rebooting a machine because
a bios update or because some service hangs. It's reboot and I planned
it all by myself with my free will. Therefor I will schedule a downtime,
as I know: it will go down when I press that reboot button.

That's a scheduled downtime for me.

> But you are talking about sending alerts.  Recovery alerts are still
> alerts, and alerts are suppressed during scheduled downtimes.

Well, that's playing with words. Of course I'm talking about
critical/warning/unknown/down when talking about alerts. I thought
that was rather clear from my wording. Alerts are critical, warning,
unknown, down. Recoveries are recoveries. Alerts and recoveries
together are notifications. But recoveries are not alerts in my
understanding.

> > (unless I explicitly suppress all notifications for the
> > service/host in question - but downtime shouldn't work this way)
>
> But it does.  You're expecting it to do something other than what it's
> designed for, and to behave in a way other than how it's documented.

Well, that's the question. Was it designed that way? I don't think so.
Is it documented and implemented that way? Yes it is.
Though the latter is true, that doesn't mean I cannot vouch for taking
my point as it is a much better approach to the problem. The notifaction
system must be made aware of why a certain notification get's send and
decide whether it has to send it or not. Scheduled downtime should not
blindly block everything. If it would, then where's the difference
between scheduling downtime and just disabling notifications for a host
or service?

regards
        Sascha

PS: Why hasn't HP released a new centrino driver for their notebooks
yet? We are in dire need for an update because of the newly discovered
security hole ;)

--
Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk Administration

ABIT AG
Robert-Bosch-Str. 1
40668 Meerbusch

Tel.:+49 (0) 2150.9153.226
Mobil:+49 (0) 173.5419665
mailto:SRunschke at abit.de

http://www.abit.net
http://www.abit-epos.net
Sicherheitshinweis zur E-Mail Kommunikation /
  Security note regarding email communication:
http://www.abit.net/sicherheitshinweis.html