Nagios Light?

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 2 18:46:16 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, jon.johnston wrote:

> After trying to work with Nagios for a while, I've determined that it's
> not the best fit for most of the environments I work with. Looks like
> great stuff, but takes too long to setup, configure, and get running in
> network environments where I would leave it with administrators will
> little to no linux knowledge.
>
> Is there something linux-based that would be comparable to "nagios
> light"? Thanks for any input.

I agree that Nagios takes some time to setup in comlex environments.  In
fact, one could argue your Nagios implementation is never really "done,"
rather it changes as you change your network and your monitoring
infrastructure.  Still, Nagios is clearly the best tool for the job from
where I'm standing.  To get to "Nagios Light," you need two things,
1, get a list of hosts to monitor, 2, map that host list to a service
list.  Once you have 1 and 2, you write some code to generate your nagios
config.  If you're smart, you package that up and deploy it with your
systems.  If you're even smarter, you consolidate those up into a nagios
hierarchy and you have a picture of your whole network.

Hope that helps a bit.  Contact me off list for more detatils.