Antwort: Re: Recovery not getting sent during downtime?

srunschke at abit.de srunschke at abit.de
Wed Aug 2 17:53:48 CEST 2006

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 31.07.2006 19:42:08:

> Pardon me. But what is the problem? You have a problem. It triggers an
> alert. You act and 'fix' it by scheduling downtime. Then you bring the
> system alive within the allocated maintenance window.

I'm sorry, but I got a hard time to pardon such rude answers.

> It seems there is little point in sending a status change if you declare
> maintenance window. Then it is obviously a planned action and there is
no
> need to send out any alert.

There's a big point in sending RECOVERY even in scheduled downtimes.
I already mentioned it, but I don't mind explaining it again to you.
If a service failed before a downtime, it needs to send out recovery
notifications even when in downtime. Take my example: service goes
critical, every admin gets notified, host goes into downtime,
host reboots, service goes ok after reboot, no notifications get sent
because the host is still in downtime.
Every admin that is currently offsite can't know about the reboot
(cause it happened in downtime and noone noticed despite the one who
rebooted) and will never get notified about the recovery. That poses a
big problem for bigger companies who have numerous admins getting
notifications from nagios. If such a case occurs I usually get a call from
my CTO why problem XY wasn't fixed yet and I have to tell him:
I fixed it with a reboot, but nagios didn't send out the recovery because
of the downtime.

It wastes time and ressources.
Time and ressources mean money.
Wasted money is bad.

sincerely
        Sascha

--
Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk Administration

ABIT AG
Robert-Bosch-Str. 1
40668 Meerbusch

Tel.:+49 (0) 2150.9153.226
Mobil:+49 (0) 173.5419665
mailto:SRunschke at abit.de

http://www.abit.net
http://www.abit-epos.net
Sicherheitshinweis zur E-Mail Kommunikation /
  Security note regarding email communication:
http://www.abit.net/sicherheitshinweis.html