ordering service checks

Derek Olsen derek.olsen at qsent.com
Tue Aug 1 20:28:36 CEST 2006

    Hello.
    I'm hoping to get some input in the best nagios way to solve this
particular situation.

    So I have an application to monitor that requires multiple steps to
determine the overall health of the application.   So here is a simple
example that demonstrates my situation.

    1.    Email is sent to an address associated with an in house
reporting application.
    2.    During the 5 - 30 minutes following the first step (as long as
the first step succeeded ok)
           another service checsk a specific URL for a resulting pdf
file.   If the pdf file is available then the overall service is ok and
the monitor repeats itself.   It's important that step #1 doesnt run
again until  after  step 2 completes OK.

     So some of the approaches I have started to mentally walk through
are listed here.    I'm fairly new to nagios and have used basic
dependency checking before but have never tried to tackle a problem like
this so I'm hoping someone will suggest some high level options for me
to consider.

    Approach #1.
    Have a cron job kick off a shell script which permforms the above
steps and iterates through step #2 using timers/sleep and then submits
passive results to nagios.

    Approach #2.  I've not worked through all the details of this
approach but I imagine I would be able to
setup service #1 to have a very high normal_check_interval (say 60) and
then use a dependency so #2 wont execute unless service #1 is ok.    But
even if I have the dependency for #2 on #1 being ok what if #1 didnt run
for some reason but is still listed as OK from the previous run then #2
would execute and start looking for a file that would never show up.

    Anyhoo any tips/pointers on other/better approaches I might consider
would be super groovy.
    THanks.   Deet.