Distributed / Central and hosts in pgsql

Trask trasko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 00:41:12 CEST 2006

> Am I to understand that from the documentation that you need to have service
> definations for all services on each distributed server.

AFAIK, just the central server needs all the definitions.  It won't
process the passive check results unless it knows about the service...

> ie. If I have a switch that I want to do a ping check on behind one of my
> distributed servers, I'll need to have that service defined on my central
> server?

Yes.

> If this is the case then I don't know how I am going to do this. Because the
> information may change on each distributed server.
>
> <snip snip>

Here's one way:

On each of your distributed servers, after it has written out the new
nagios configs have it send them (scp or whatever you like) over to
the central server (or have the central server pull them).  Lets call
your distributed nagios servers dist01, dist02, dist03, etc.  Central
server is "central".  Let's also assume you've installed to
"/usr/local/nagios" and all your config files are located in
"/usr/local/nagios/etc".

(On central) Make a sub-directory called "distservers" here:
"/usr/local/nagios/etc/distservers"

Edit your main config file to include all files ending in .cfg like this:
(in /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg on central)
cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/distservers
(link: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/configmain.html#cfg_dir)

Now, when you transfer the configs from the distributed servers, just
dump them in "/usr/local/nagios/etc/distservers" or make a
subdirectory for each dist server (ie:
/usr/local/nagios/etc/distservers/dist01/,
/usr/local/nagios/etc/distservers/dist02/, and so on).

Use cron, your update scripts or whatever you like to reload nagios on
the central server after the files in etc/distservers have changed.

Personally, I use cfengine to maintain all my nagios servers -- once
you get past the learning curve it makes dealing w/ restarting
processes, copying securely, etc much less burdensome.  I also have
*some* of the nagios configuration in a central database that scripts
look at to automatically generate some of the nagios configs.

~trask