NSCA kinda... Monitored host to Nagios server info

Trask trasko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 06:34:09 CEST 2006

On 4/25/06, Richard A Nelson <cowboy+nagios at cavein.org> wrote:

> I've got a medium site monitored with Nagios, and really like the
> changes in V2 :)
>
> Here's one thing I have not been able to figure out how to handle:
>
> I monitor service X on about a dozen machines
> Some of those machines run testcases, which interfere with  service X
>         1) I want to stop notifications before running those testcases
>         2) I want to run the testcases, which corrupt, fill service X
>            without flooding myself with mails
>         3) After the testcases are run, I want to re-enable notifications
>         4) This must all be scriptable
>
> My first thought was NSCA, but I can't see how to have it do more than
> the usual passive notification it seems designed for.
>
> My next thought was to ssh from the monitored host to the server,
> with a dedicated key (only able to start/stop notification), and have
> a script on the monitoring server that dis/en-abled notifications.
>
> The problem is that the ssh approach looks to work, but requires
> different scripts, and keys for each scenario - I just don't seee
> it scaling well.
>
> Has anyone done something like this already ?
> --
> Rick Nelson
> Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon
> Then you'll be dead                     -- Life'll kill ya

1) Can you provide some more information as to specifically what you
mean by "testcases"?  Is nagios going to be initiating these test
cases or is something else?

2) Do these tests happen during a regularly scheduled time interval?
The scheduled downtime feature would work for that.

3) At first thought, the ssh methods seems not quite as complex as you
described -- dealing with keys will be as annoying as it has to be for
your security-mindedness, but the command you need to run is a
one-liner and wouldn't require any daemon running on the nagios
server.  Just ssh in using a key and echo a command to nagios via the
command file.

4) Have you considered using the cgi's + some Apache authentication
method?  I haven't actually looked into it, but anything you can do
through the web interface you should be able to script.

There is more possible that I had previously thought:
http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandlist.php