NSCA - server

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 20 16:23:42 CEST 2006

Yes.

> Clients servers are runing the clients.  I assume they write to the
> /var/log/nagios/rw/nagios.rw (which is a pipe).  How do I get  the
central
> nagios to read it and what check command do I put in to the service
check
> commands.

Read http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/distributed.html. NSCA is a
passive check method. Your client machines need to perform the check
themselves, then send the results to your central nagios machine via
send_nsca. A properly configured NSCA daemon on your central machine
will write those results to the nagios external command pipe.

As far as your central nagios service check commands, if these will be
entirely passive checks and you are going to be using freshness checking
then it needs to be some command that will return some appropriate
output should the results go stale. The above link give an example. If
you are not going to be performing freshness checking, then the command
can be anything as it will never get executed.

--
Marc