Is it possible to prevent messages about service unknown?

Scott Lundgren selundgr at email.uncc.edu
Wed Apr 19 16:30:53 CEST 2006

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:33:31AM -0400, Scott Lundgren wrote:
>> Is is possible to prevent emails about when a service becomes unknown
>> (perhaps because of a socket error) ?
> You can turn off 'unkonwn' error messages by configuring the
> notifiation_options for that service to not have 'u'.

Thanks, it's been a while since I've set those config settings. One of the
things I found on my server running nagios was that there were a large
number of 0 byte length files with the IP address of the server with a
randomization string at the end. I theorized that if a socket file already
exists, nagios sees it as an error. Therefore I deleted all the files and I
wonder why they're not being deleted automagically.

>> What causes socket errors and how can I prevent them?
> What was the exact error message?

Here is the message I received:

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: System-CPU