nagios dns resolver checks

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 00:55:47 CEST 2006

I've been playing around with getting nagios to check information
coming dns, however I need to check a variety of queries and check_dns
doesn't really do quite what I want. The check_dns_random.pl plugin in
contrib does what I want in theory, but it seems to have some fairly
bad flaws in the perl logic (shell calls to wc -l, weird randomization
etc) and it doesn't appear to have been updated recently. After some
assistance with colleagues, we've attempted a bit of a rewrite for the
plugin but it's not quite there, and it really doesn't use utils.pm or
any of the nagios handling. I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to
perl, so I was hoping someone else might be able to take a look at
what we've done and offer some suggestions/patches/updates/working
code.... you get the idea.

We've tried to keep the original functionality of check_dns_random.pl,
but any help would really be appreciated.

check_resolver.pl is a complete rewrite of the dns query using Net::DNS.
check_dns_random-new.pl is a rewrite of the original plugin with
updated random function and file parsing.

-Arthur C. Clarke