execute a program with NRPE

tdelunel tdelunel at free.fr
Mon Apr 17 19:49:36 CEST 2006

Hi,
I'm using a v2 of nagios and check_nrpe and nrpe_nt.exe 0.8.
I have some troubles with starting an .exe on a remote windows 2000 Server.
Here is my config:
nrpe.cfg
---------------
allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1, at IPnagios
dont_blame_nrpe=1
debug=1
command[putty]=c:\nrpe\putty.exe
---------------
Other parameters are set to default.

On the Monitoring Computer i use the command:

./chek_nrpe -H @ipHost -c putty

After 10 seconds i receive the following message:
CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds

In the nrpe_nt log file on the remote host:
"Host is askng command 'putty' to be run"
"Running command: c:\nrpe\putty.exe"
"Command completed with return code 5"
"Bad return code for [The check didn't respond within the timeout]"

Putty is not started, but if I open the task manager, I can see that
putty.exe is present.
If I try to kill the process, i receive the message "Acces Denied".

In parallele, i tried to start a windows service (W32Time i.e) remotely.
So i copied the "sc.exe" file from a windows XP on my 2000 server, and i