Contacts that can "watch", but are never notified (not as simple as twiddling their contact definition)

Philip Hallstrom phallstrom at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 18:34:17 CEST 2006

Hi -

I've got nagios pretty much setup, but there's one thing I'm
struggling with -- how to let a group of contacts see their servers,
but only notify one of them (as they rotate on call..).

I'm using authentication.  I'm monitoring two separate (political)
networks so I can't just open things up and let everyone see
everything.

One network has four admins: tim, justin, alex, and philip.  All of us
need to see everything in our network, but I only want to notify
philip.

Right now I just set notification_period=none for the others.  But
next week I want to change it.  And I would rather not have to update
the contacts everytime.

What I really want to do is have two contactgroups:

admins - would contain all of us, but wouldn't notify any of us
regardless of our contact settings.

oncall-admin - would contain just the one oncall admin and would notify them.

I guess what I really want is the notification_* options to be
available on contactgroups, but it doesn't seem they are.

Any ideas on how to best accomplish this?

One thought I had was to duplicate everyone's contact entries.  Have
one for just logging in and watching things with no notifications
enabled.  Then have another (say "notify-philip") that would get
notified.

Or perhaps I could use escalations to do this by adding the 'admins'
contactgroup to an escalation that is never notified?  If 'admins' was
only part of an escalation would the nagios web interface let members
of that contactgroup see hosts that were also part of that escalation?

Thanks!

-philip