unexpected host status on central server

Trask trasko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 20:04:08 CEST 2006

Hi again, I am having another strange issue with my distributed setup
(3 distrib. servers sending data to one central server).

I followed the official docs for a distributed setup.  I am only
sending the SERVICE checks passively and I have the central server
(cs) setup to do active host checks.

The service checks are coming in to the cs correctly, and the cs is
executing service checks that it should whenever the "freshness" time
expires.  However, there is something odd going on with host checks.

Distributed server #1 (ds1) sees that a host is down -- it also sees
that all of its service checks are failing to CRITICAL.  Since I am
not doing passive host checks, ds1 sends the information about all the
failing services, but does not send anything about the host state
(which ds1 detects (accurately) as being down).

The cs accurately shows all the services as failing, but it still
thinks the host is ok.  I am using "check_fping" and the configs for
the check are the exact some on cs and ds1.

On DS1, the web interface and running the check_fping command both
result in this:
"FPING CRITICAL - 111.222.333.444 (loss=100%)"

If I run this check manually on the command line on CS, I also get:
"FPING CRITICAL - 111.222.333.444 (loss=100%)"

However, cs's web interface shows the status as:
"UP"
"FPING WARNING - 111.222.333.444"

What's going on?  Did I miss some config option on the cs?  This is
the latest versions of nagios and nsca (v2.2 and v2.6 respectively).

Thanks for any help!