Antwort: Re: E-mail Message

srunschke at abit.de srunschke at abit.de
Wed Apr 12 16:03:58 CEST 2006

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 12.04.2006 15:43:26:

> Because the Security Policy.
> We cannot have two MTA in the same network.
>
> There is another problem using the MTA with Nagios. When I try send
> e-mail to Nextel e-mail, it doesn´t working because the Nextel check if
> the source e-mail exist.
>
> So, I have two problems.

I suggest you first accumulate some knowledge about *nix
architectures like Linux and MTAs (aka Mail Transfer Agents).

There needs to be some mechanism to supply mails from a host
to the smtp-server. On Unix architectures this is done by
the MTA, which is usually sendmail. But then, it is not necessary
to have the sendmail daemon process running and listening on the
the smtp port, you can just have it run locally and forward
locally submitted mails to your main smtp server.

What you want to do is read the sendmail manual and learn how
to configure your local MTA correctly.

But what you are directly asking for is not possible. Neither Nagios,
nor any other unix service implements its own smtp engine - this would
be quite stupid and a big waste of ressources since EVERY *nix/Linux
machine has at least a local MTA - or is majorly misconfigured.

SMTP-Server != MTA

And you should re-evaluate people in your security department who say
"more then 1 SMTP server is a security risk". They obviously don't have
much of a clue regarding security and how SMTP servers work ;)

regards
        Sascha

--
Sascha Runschke