Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue Apr 11 08:08:55 CEST 2006

Hi,

After doing some tests and keeping it running for several days I can now
make a summary of what I did to make NagiosGrapher work for me at this
point.

 1. Running a perl script to gather data is too slow if multiple events
occur. As the C program did not work for me I have opted to use printf and
send it to the named pipe like this:

# 'process-service-perfdata' command definition
define command {
        command_name    process-service-perfdata
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$SERVICEOUTPUT$\t$SERVICEPERFDATA$\n" >> /var/spool/nagios/ngraph.pipe
        }

 2. Sending 4 results at once to the named pipe is logged correctly by the
collect tool but did not do an update to all of the RRD files. At present
the work around is to run just 1 service check at the time and feed it to
the collector. For this I modified some other entries in Nagios:

max_concurrent_checks=1
service_reaper_frequency=1

This does have an impact on the total number of services you can check. I
will try to play with it a bit more to see if changing it will have a
reverse effect.

But for now all performance grahps show all the data and show them
consistently.

And of course I did the normal changes to Nagios like:

process_performance_data=1
service_perfdata_command=process-service-perfdata

If anyone feels like taking these notes and adding them to documentation:
Please do.

Hugo.