Nagios and its config files

Sam Rowe nagios-users at unspeakable.net
Thu Apr 6 15:28:46 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 02:08:43PM +0100, Deborah Martin wrote:
# Also, one other thing is that you do need to change the cgi.cfg as below : -
#
#
# main_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg  <<---- change to name of
# replacement

Sorry to be dense, but I don't see how this solves my problem.

I looked in /usr/local/nagios/etc/ for cgi.cfg to see if I could
pre-populate a copy of nagios.cfg (test.cfg) with an alternate cgi.cfg
file that points to test.cfg and I don't see any mention of it. I
do see a hard-coded path in the output of 'strings *.cgi | grep cfg'
in the nagios/sbin dir!

So even if I were able to create an alternate nagios.cfg file, I'd
have to modify the cgi.cfg file just to use it. I was hoping for a
more elegant solution where I just say "hey nagios start with this
file instead of that one!" and it *all* works.

I'm guessing there's just no way to do that since the paths are
hard-coded in the cgi scripts. Should I send a note to the dev list
in an effort to help them not make the same mistake with the new UI?
Or do the devlopers read this list?

Also, we have a (kludgy) way to get around the above problem, but the
.svn thing I mentioned in my first email has us basically dead in the
water when it comes to doing this upgrade. Any chance of getting a
2.1.1 that doesn't traverse {RCS,.cvs,.svn} dirs? Or is that another
question for the dev list?

Thanks for trying to help Deborah!

-Sam