check_dig bug ?

stucky stucky101 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:57:57 CEST 2006

guys

I was using check_dns before but it would constantly give me random timeout
alerts although dns is fine. Considering that nslookup is being phased out
anyways I decided to give check_dig a try.
It works better but seems to have a bug related to the warning timeouts.
Check this out :

[root at nagios stucky]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_dig -w 1 -c 2 -H
{nameserver} -l {fqdn} -a {ip}
DNS OK - 0.008 seconds response time ({fqdn} 38400 IN A {ip})|time=0.008196s
;1.000000;2.000000;0.000000

[root at nagios stucky]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_dig -w 1 -c 2 -H
{nameserver} -l {fqdn} -a {ip}
DNS WARNING - 0.011 seconds response time ({fqdn} 38400 IN A {ip})|time=
0.011227s;1.000000;2.000000;0.000000

Have I totally gone nuts or did I not just tell check_dig to only warn me if
the query takes more than one second ? As you can see the tool itself
reports it took only 0.011 seconds so why the warning ?
It's annoying cause I get those random fake alerts and another recovery
messager soon after.
Thing is even if I totally leave the -w and -c flags out it'll still do that
as if it had a hardcoded value between 0.008 and 0.011 in there that can't
be changed.

This is from nagios-plugins-1.4.2.

--
stucky