Correction: Monarch vs. Fruity GUIs (was) which nagios config gui are you using?

Peter Mui pmui at groundworkopensource.com
Tue Apr 4 22:25:12 CEST 2006

Taylor Dondich, Fruity's developer, and several list members have
pointed out that Fruity is for Nagios 2.x only, not 1.x only as in my

Peter Mui
Open Source Community Advocate
GroundWork Open Source
139 Townsend Street, Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94107
pmui at groundworkopensource.com
+1 415 992 4573

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Robert Story <rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com>
> Date: March 28, 2006 7:10:22 PM PST
> To: "Dany Allard" <dany.allard at aeso.ca>
> Cc: <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] which nagios config gui are you using?
>

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:54:00 -0700 Dany wrote:
> DA> We use monarch from groundwork http://www.itgroundwork.com/
>
> They also make fruity, don't they? Seems odd that they have 2
> different nagios
> guis. Any reason you choose one over the other?

Both Monarch and Fruity are web-based configuration management tools
for Nagios.  Monarch (MONitor ARCHitecture) is integrated into
GroundWork Open Source, which was released last month.  GroundWork
"inherited" Fruity when Fruity developer Taylor Dondich joined
GroundWork last year.

Why choose one over the other?

*  Monarch is probably the better choice for the experienced Nagios
user: it has advanced features such as the ability to convert
existing Nagios 1.x config files to 2.x.: http://sourceforge.net/
projects/monarch

*  Fruity is simpler to use, and is probably the better choice for
the new Nagios user:  however, it only supports Nagios 2.x,: http://
sourceforge.net/projects/fruity

Both can be used stand-alone: that is, Monarch works with Nagios even
if you choose not to implement the rest of GroundWork Open Source.

HTH, -Peter

pmui at groundworkopensource.com
+1 415 992 4573