Errors in my log since upgrade to 2.1

Gabriel Matthews gabriel at cinergycom.com
Tue Apr 4 15:08:46 CEST 2006

I upgraded to Nagios 2.1 over the weekend, and since then, I've been
having some problems.  It runs fine during the day, handles
notifications fine, everything works great.  When I come in the next
day, the process has stopped, and the log file is full of this:

[1144102973] Warning: The check of service 'ping' on host 'pmad-sw-01'
could not be performed due to a fork() error.  The check will
  be rescheduled.
[1144102973] Warning: The check of service 'ping' on host 'pkc-rt-01'
could not be performed due to a fork() error.  The check will
be rescheduled.
[1144102973] Warning: The check of service 'ping' on host 'pcc-sw-a9'
could not be performed due to a fork() error.  The check will
be rescheduled.
[1144102973] Warning: The check of service 'ping' on host
'evvlinlwt-ert-01' could not be performed due to a fork() error.  The
check will be rescheduled.

And I mean full.. I monitor 87 hosts / 171 services, and it makes that
log file a monster to dig through to find anything besides these errors.

My 'ping' check is as follows:

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_ping
         command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$
-c $ARG2$ -p 3
         }

And....

[root at mithrandir libexec]# ./check_ping -help
check_ping (nagios-plugins 1.4.2) 1.49

Any ideas?

--

  † Gabriel Matthews