Nagios - Newbie

Curtis Herrmann herrmc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 08:40:37 CEST 2006

Thanks, I have received several replies with great information, but this is
the direction my question was aimed at. Do you have any recommendations as
to what is needed? I planned to select the "Minimal Install" from the
installer, and then only install the packages that were needed. One of my
main questions is "What are the packages that are needed?" (as a base. not
directly related to the Nagios package or Plugins"..

 I also have seen that many times the version (Apache, and other programs)
that RedHat or Fedora installs is not necessarily the latest version. I
would like feedback as to whether it is better to go with the newest
version, or if it is better to stay with the "Older Versions"

 I think it would be cool to have a KickStart file, and Post Installation
Script to have a machine primed and ready to go for a Nagios install.

 I have also received some good feedback about whether to use the
precompiled RPM's or to compile. The official Doc that I am reading from the
Nagios site details the "compile it yourself" instructions. but I have
received a couple of responses recommending to use the precompiled versions.

 I also want to thank everyone who has responded, the help is much
appreciated. Jim Perrin sent me a link to his document and it was very
helpful. I think that it will generate some questions with me, but I will
try to save most of them till I have tried a few things. one question though
about the doc.

 On Jim's document it lists default install directories as:

/usr/share/

/usr/lib/nagios/

/etc/

I may have missed some???

The doc that I am reading from the Nagios site seems to imply to me that the
directory structure starts with a base directory of:

/usr/local/nagios/

Then that I should have 5 directories in this base directory: (page 14)

/usr/local/nagios/bin

/usr/local/nagios/etc/

/usr/local/nagios/sbin/

/usr/local/nagios/share/

/usr/local/nagios/var/

 I assume that the difference could be attributed to personal preference and
the compile time options???

 Also, in Jim's document it states:

>What you'll have at this point is a nagios directory in /usr/share/ which
contains the html interface for >yum, hosted through apache.

 Can someone explain the significance of the "html interface for yum" to
me.. Or is this possibly a typo and should be the "html interface for
Nagios".

 And I want to say that I am not trying to pick at Jim's Doc. I think it is
great, it has been really helpful for me to read, and has got me thinking..
I'm just trying to digest it and learn it right the first time.

Thanks in advance.

Curtis

  _____