Monitoring clustered hosts

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Fri Sep 30 14:08:52 CEST 2005

Deborah Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What would be the best way approach the following :
>
> 10  Blades running Linux (so each blade has its own IP address)
> Together they are one database server
>
> a) I want to monitor each blade to ensure they are up. If down I need
> Nagios to tell me specifically which blade is down.
>
> I've played with the hosts.cfg file and put in multiple IP addresses
> but if one goes down, the info returned to Nagios isn't telling me
> anything specific (or do I need to tweak this myself ?)
>
> I'm using check_ssh rather than ping as there is a firewall between
> Nagios and the blades which doesn't allow ping through.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

Hi..  So each individual server of the cluster has its own IP address?

Then you can, in the nagios hosts.cfg file define a human readable name
for each host as follows:

define host {
    use           generic-host
    name          server1.cluster
    alias         Server1 in blah Satabase Server Cluster
        address                ip.address / host.name.com
}

This may be of help also
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/clusters.html

I forgot the page which defines all of the configuration options for the
hosts, but it should be easy to find

rob.